Struggling to find time in your hectic schedule to figure out what you’re going to do with the family when they arrive in town for the holidays? No worries—we’ve got tips and tricks for entertaining you and your visitors from the team at Austin-based KEY Concierge.
- Plan ahead and prep early.
- Consider hiring a private chef for dinner – this not only allows for more family time but also a different menu and experience but everyone can relax.
- Spice up dinner and friends/family time with games. This could be a group game like Pictionary or an adult game with wine tastings. (Keep it simple, for example: Is it a box wine or a vintage bottle?)
- Take advantage of mild Texas holiday season weather and consider a backyard extravaganza. It can be as simple as games before dinner or during dessert.
- Spice it up. Consider something outside of the home like a Taste of Austin Tour or a Dive Bar Crawl. (KEY Concierge can help coordinate–including a babysitter!)
Tempted to simplify things even more? That’s where KEY comes in with their “five star concierge services.” (Yes, these days you don’t need to stay in a swanky hotel to have access to a concierge!) They can do everything from hiring a private driver to take the family to see all of the best holiday lights in town, to coordinating grocery deliveries and stocking the bar before the big day. They’ll even take the hassle out of that office holiday party. Or a gourmet dinner party!
Kim Shrum, the founder of KEY, had done her fair share of traveling for business before she moved to the Bay Area with her family one summer. That’s when the savvy traveler realized how long it takes to get into the groove in a new place. Where do the local take their kids? Which are the best grocery stores? That simple stuff can take forever to figure out when you’re visiting. With that, the concept of KEY Concierge was born.
Today, a guest relations team and a concierge work with locals and visitors to cities such as Austin (so far the only Texas city), Aspen, New York and San Francisco to gather trip details and requests. All that’s channeled into the app. Shrum says, “It has been great to see our concierge concept take off over the last few years. There was definitely a need in the market.”
And KEY continues to expand. “Our end goal is to be everywhere our guests travel so they have a local, trusted source on the ground who knows them and can create a seamless, yet memorable experience worldwide. Time is precious. Leave the planning to us.”