Sand and surf equals only good vibes, especially these days. We’re working from home, quarantining at home, schooling at home. Escape to some place where sunscreen is the only screen needed (you know we love this phrase!) this fall.
In our Escape — To Nowhere series, we’re highlighting locations where guests can have their own space, feel far enough away from others and cook for themselves in their own full kitchens, if they so choose– yet, still escape. Yes, unplug to feel more connected!
This week and next, let us tell you about two coastal options. Both sit on Port Aransas/Mustang Island, likely the most popular shoreside destination in Texas due to the fun sandy beaches you can drive on. (And even camp on, for free!) Next week you’ll hear about Lively Beach. But, first…
Cinnamon Shore, Port Aransas
It’s the only property I long to return to again and again in Texas. It’s designed to make you feel this way. It’s purpose is to provide a sense of home, yet without the responsibilities of home.
A seaside village, Cinnamon Shore is located on a stretch of Highway 361. A master-planned community, full of pastel-colored beach houses and condos, where most people are riding cruisers or dune buggies (golf carts), it calls to generations young to old.
Families from around the state have built a tradition of spending their time off at Cinnamon Shore, splashing in one of three pools (Kiera’s pool is my fave), tossing the football on the open-space lawns or traversing the dunes to get to the beach. High season is definitely the summer months but rentals are available year-round and we love the fall.
Once you arrive, you park your vehicle and have no need to drive until it’s time to depart. Because you have a full kitchen, washer/dryer and even restaurants, this is a self-contained vacation destination! It really is a walkable village with the charm of small-town America. You’ll find front porches lined with rockers that recall the best of Southern traditions, while paver sidewalks and pocket parks give a true neighborly feel. And great dining options, fitness classes, and a roster of activities and events year-round will keep your and yours entertained if you’re looking for a change from the beachfront.
6 Highlights of Cinnamon Shore
1. The property is self-contained, and safe enough to let teens roam on their own. They love the independence of heading over to the coffee shop for a drink or visiting the local pizza place to order their own meal.
2. The three community pools: The Dune Pool, which hosts paddleboard yoga in a palm-lined setting; Kiera’s Pool, with an infinity edge looking to scenic Lake Gavin; and Stillwater Pool, heated year-round, provide hours of enjoyment for guests of any age.
3. Of course, you can cook in your own kitchen all day long but the on-site dining options include upscale Mediterranean-style Lisabella’s Bistro; family-friendly Dylan’s Pizzeria, where you can enjoy outdoor seating; and Coffee Waves, with a premium selection of java, smoothies, and breakfast fare. They all make it feel like your own little town, built especially for you.
4. Again, designed to be everything you need, with their entertainment and activities: live music concerts on an outdoor stage (which provided such a fun and relaxing Saturday night); movies on the grassy Town Center lawn; yoga on the beach; paddleboard yoga at The Dune Pool; bike and fishing gear rentals, all exist to put the cherry on top of your stay.
5. The two community lakes: Lake Colby, which is fully stocked with a fishing pier for everyone to use, and Lake Gavin really add a relaxing touch to an already relaxing atmosphere.
6. They make it easy to rent a golf cart onsite from Top Deck (a must!) and reserve beach chairs with umbrellas (set up and ready for you first thing in the morning). Both of these amenities add to the experience that is Cinnamon Shore.
Homes and condo units vary in size. It Is Well beach house is a two-story home that sleeps 9 comfortably. With its sunshiny yellow exterior, guests enter the bottom floor, housing a bunk room (1 queen and 2 twins), a queen guest room with a single bunk above and an ensuite bathroom; another bathroom and a laundry room. Upstairs is an open concept kitchen with dining area and living area, drawing a family in, ideal for dining, relaxing and playing games. The master bedroom is also upstairs, with a queen bed and large bathroom.
It is Well rents for $350-$650 per night, depending on time of the year, a real value for this size and location.
What Kind of Traveler Are You? Take Our Quick Quiz!
Cover photo courtesy Cinnamon Shore
Marika Flatt is the Travel Editor of Texas Lifestyle Magazine. You can find her “escaping” all over Texas, to bring you the best and most safe places to visit. You can hear her “Weekend Trip Tips” on the statewide NPR show, Texas Standard.