Sand and surf equals good vibes. Escape to some place where sunscreen is the only screen needed this fall.
Port Aransas/Mustang Island is a popular beach in Texas due to its fun sandy beaches you can drive on (and even camp on, for free!).
There’s a reason why Texans flock to Cinnamon Shore, designed to make you feel a sense of home without the responsibilities of home. Hear all about why it’s 1 of our top 7 destinations for fall travel here on San Antonio Living.
Cinnamon Shore, a seaside village, is located on Port A’s Highway 361. A master-planned community, full of pastel colored beach houses and condos, where most people are riding cruisers or golf carts, calls to generations, young to old.
Families from around the state have built a tradition of spending their time off at Cinnamon Shore, splashing in one of three pools (Kiera’s pool is my fave), tossing the football on the open-space lawns or traversing the dunes to get to the beach. High season is definitely the summer months but rentals are available year-round and we love the fall on the beach (the water is still warm enough to enjoy).
Once you arrive at Cinnamon Shore, park your vehicle and you’ll have no need to drive until it’s time to depart. Because you have a full kitchen, washer/dryer and even restaurants, this is a self-contained vacation destination!
They really explain it well here: The epitome of the New Urbanist architectural movement, Cinnamon Shore is a walkable village that offers the charm of small-town America. Front porches lined with rockers recall the best of Southern architectural traditions, while paver sidewalks and pocket parks promote a neighborly feel. Cottage-style details reminiscent of the grand, old East Coast beach homes that line the Atlantic Coast, help the new community feel rooted to the past. And great dining options, fitness classes, and a roster of activities and events year-round keep guests entertained when they’re not enjoying the beachfront.
Highlights of Cinnamon Shore include:
- The property is a self-contained unit, safe enough to let teens roam on their own. They love the independence of heading over to the coffee shop for a drink or visiting Dylan’s Pizzeria to order their own meal.
- The three community pools: The Dune Pool, which hosts paddleboard yoga in a palm-lined setting; Kiera’s Pool, with an infinity edge looking to scenic Lake Gavin; and Stillwater Pool, heated year-round, provide hours of enjoyment for guests of any age.
- Of course you can cook in your own kitchen all day long but the on-site dining options: upscale Mediterranean-style Lisabella’s Bistro; family-friendly Dylan’s Pizzeria, and Coffee Waves, with a premium selection of java, smoothies, and breakfast fare, all make it feel like your own little town, built especially for you.
- Again, designed to be everything you need, with entertainment and activities: live music on an outdoor stage; movies on the grassy Town Center lawn; yoga on the beach; paddleboard yoga at The Dune Pool; bike and fishing gear rentals, all exist to put the cherry on top of your stay.
- The two community lakes: Lake Colby, which is fully stocked with a fishing pier for everyone to use, and Lake Gavin, really add a relaxing touch to an already zen atmosphere.
- They make it easy to rent a golf cart onsite from Top Deck (a must!) and reserve beach chairs with umbrellas (set up and ready for you first thing in the morning). Both of these amenities add to the experience that is Cinnamon Shore.
Homes and condo units vary in size. Visit the website to peruse a large assortment of condos and homes to fit your party’s needs.
Cover Photo Courtesy Anne Burnett
Marika Flatt, Outstanding Austin Communicator 2021, is the Travel Editor of Texas Lifestyle Magazine. She began her travel writing career in 2002 with Austin Woman Magazine and now writes their “The Texas Traveler” section. She can be seen as a contributor on TV shows across Texas, offering travel tips.